The Chamber of Commerce was organized In 1888 by the City of Marceline. On September 6,1888, the Mayor appointed Drs. Perrin, Cater, Smith, N. Long, and J.E. Waller as a Board of Health for Marceline. J. Y. Turner was marshal at a salary of $30. W.M. Hindman received $17.75 for seventy-five paupers’ meals.
As was done in many communities during the economic relapse of the mid-thirties, Marceline organized a timely service for the relief of needy individuals. It began in 1934 when Mayor B.J. Thomas appointed Edna Locke Thomas (now Mrs. Otis DeLong) to supervise a sewing room in the basement of Carnegie Library and lasted until 1938. … > More >
In reply to an inquiry about the above subject, Mrs. Mary Miller offered this bit of information: Camp Fire Girls were active in this town in the 1930’s. Katherine Jane Mason worked with the girls during this time.
Girl Scouts began in the USA on March 12, 1912, and when we read back in the … > More >