In March 1903, the B. F. Simpson family of Kansas City and the J. B. Miller family from Tina, Missouri came to Marceline. They opened a dry goods and women’s ready-to-wear store in the B. B. Putman building near the present site of the James McLaughlin building.
Mr. Simpson started his career in merchandising in 1892 in Carrollton, Missouri. In 1894 he went to Kansas City where he was assistant to the superintendent of the “Leiter Co.” He was at “Peck’s” six years, then went to the “John Taylor Dry Goods Co.” where he was manager of the first floor.
The Simpson and Miller Dry Goods Co. moved to the Hemming building when it was completed in 1904. When the partnership was dissolved, Mr. Simpson became the sole owner and the store was known as “Simpson’s.”
Mr. Simpson retired in 1947 after selling his business to the “Chownings” in Madison, Missouri.
Mrs. Simpson was a cousin of the late Clarence M. Kendrick, well known attorney. He was editor of the Marceline Mirror in 1898 and continued the practice of law with headquarters at the Mirror office. Mr. Kendrick’s parents came to Marceline in a covered wagon in 1889.
Mrs. Audry Walsworth, who wrote the Jubilee Pageant, is the daughter-in-law of the late Mr. and Mrs. Don Walsworth. Mrs. Don Walsworth, Sr., was the former Joy Kendrick, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Kendrick.
The first scene of the Pageant was taken from the “Marceline Souvenir,” the program prepared by Mr. C. M. Kendrick for the 25th Anniversary of Marceline.