George H. Freeman, one of Marceline’s pioneer citizens, was born September 2, 1849, in Macon County. In 1878 he and Nancy Ellen Pillars, of Macon County, were united in marriage. To this union was born three children: Orbra L., 1880; Richard C., 1883; and Jennie Lynn (Freeman) Wilson, 1885.
On October 25, 1888, shortly after the town was chartered, the family moved to Marceline, then purchased a home at 122 West Booker Street, now Florence’s Rest Home. Mr. Freeman was employed by the Santa Fe Railway for more than 27 years as a car inspector, and as manager of the Santa Fe Reading Room. He died at the age of 82 in the home of his son, R. C. Freeman. His wife, Nancy, preceded him in death in 1923, and son Orbra, in 1926. He was survived by his daughter, Mrs. H. E. Wilson, of Chillicothe, Illinois.
As a young man, Richard C. Freeman was employed by the Santa Fe Railroad until 1909 when he claimed land near Las Vegas, New Mexico, under the homestead act. In 1912 he returned to Marceline where he entered the real estate business. In March of 1916, he and Blanche E. Locke were united in marriage. They had four children, J. Howard, Louise, Kenneth G., and Clifford L.
In 1921 “Rich” operated a secondhand store and they purchased their home at 520 West Lake Street. In 1924 he took a job as police officer. He was chief of police for 24 continuous years. In 1950 he returned to the real estate business and retired in 1953. He was then appointed Police Judge for the city, an office which he held until his death in 1958. His wife, Blanche, followed him in death in 1959. He is survived by his two sons, Howard and Clifford, and daughter, Louise, all of Marceline, and son Kenneth of Knoxville, Iowa.