George J. Allen, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Philemon Allen, was born Febuary 2, 1865, at Brockport, N.Y. When he was a small boy, the family moved to Kansas where he grew to manhood. He was graduated from Ottowa University and shortly afterward the family moved to Marceline.
In 1888, Mr. Allen and Miss Alberta Adams were married. A few years later, because of ill health, Mr. Allen and his family moved to Colorado in a covered wagon. At one time, Mr. Allen was a stage coach driver from Beulah to Pueblo, Colo.
From Colorado, Mr. and Mrs. Allen and two daughters returned to Marceline in a covered wagon. They lived here until 1918 when they moved to Carrollton, later Ottawa and Garnett, Kans., and then to Wellsville, where Mrs. Allen died fifteen years ago.
Mr. Allen and his father organized the First Baptist church here in April, 1888. They were two of the seven charter members and always contributed liberally to the financial support of the church. The Rev. J. M. P. Martin was the first pastor of the church.
In 1906, Mr. Allen built the large business building which now houses the Allen Hotel, Murray’s Store and the Home Improvement Company. Tom Hott was the first owner of the hotel and the late Hez Anderson was the first roomer.
Mr. Allen and his father owned and operated a bank in a building on the present site of the Masonic Temple. The post office was in the rear of the building. Mr. Allen also was in the real estate and implement business here for several years.