Oldham & Adair Families
Mary Ann Sportsman and M. G. Oldham both of Chariton County, were united in marriage July 29, 1857, moved to a home two and one-half miles southeast of Marceline, and became the parents of nine children: J. G. Oldham, H. H. Oldham, M. G. Oldham, Richard Oldham, Alva Oldham, Sally Oldham, Kitty Ann Oldham, and Elizabeth Oldham, all now deceased.
On February 1, 1894, Elizabeth was united in marriage to Charles Adair from another pioneer family. He was the son of Willis and Sarah Catherine Adair, who came to Missouri from Illinois in the year 1882 and settled on a farm in Chariton County three miles southeast of where Marceline is now located.
Mr. and Mrs. Willis Adair were the parents of eight children: Mary Adair Butler, Charles Adair, Louisa Adair, Jane Adair Bealmear, Thomas A. Adair, Olive Adair Manard, Weaver Adair, and Jesse Adair. All are deceased except Mrs. Manard of Moberly, Missouri, and Jesse Adair of Huntington Park, California.
Descendants of the Oldham family still living are Lewis Adair, Lula Adair, Lucy Duckworth, Lola Medlin, Claude Oldham, Verner Oldham, H. A. Oldham, Catherine Hodgerson, Viola McMillan, LeRoy Oldham, Raymond Oldham, Mary Esther Pope, Jesse Coe, Raymond Cupp, Elmer Bealmear, J. E. Adair, Mary Armstrong, Stevan Adair, Stephanie Adair, Gayle Armstrong, Gary Armstrong, all of the Marceline area. Other descendants are Luther Adair, Casper, Wyoming; Lota Adair, Kansas City, Missouri; and Peggy Prose, Forrest City, Arkansas.
Clarence & Grace Kendrick
C. M. Kendrick, attorney, came to Marceline, Missouri in a covered wagon in 1889 with his parents, Morton G. and Sara Wilson Kendrick, and his two sisters, Mrs. Viola Webster and Mrs. Nina Kendrick Woodworth. With Mr. Bradford McAllister, his father operated the first bakery in Marceline in the south part of town just off Missouri Avenue.
C. M. Kendrick was city attorney fourteen years and editor of the Marceline Mirror from 1893 to 1902, continuing his practice of law from the Mirror Office as his headquarters.
The Kendrick family united by letter with the Christian Church here in 1889 when the church was one year old. His sister Nina was choir director and soloist in the church and his sister Viola taught in the public school.
Mr. Clarence’s genial and persuasive manner earned him the title “The Silver Tongued Orator of Linn County.”
The late Mr. Clarence Kendrick and his wife Mrs. Grace Kendrick made their home on West Santa Fe Street. It was here that the late Mrs. Don (Joy Kendrick) Walsworth, Sr., was reared. Mrs. Clarence Kendrick retains her home with her grandson Don Walsworth, Jr. and family. Her granddaughter, Mrs. Don (Sondra Walsworth) Lake and family live here.
The late Mr. Don Walsworth, Sr. has two brothers residing in Marceline, Mr. William Walsworth and Mr. Ed Walsworth.
The late Mrs. B. F. (Minnie Kendrick) Simpson was a first cousin to Mr. Clarence Kendrick. Her daughter, Mrs. Robert (Thelma Simpson) Cruze resides in the late B. F. Simpson home.