The Sorosis Club was organized in 1928 as the first Junior Federated Club in Third District M. F. W. C. under the sponsorship of Sorosis, the first Senior Federated Club in Marceline. At that time a Sorosis member, Mrs. Sig Steiner, was president of Third District and it was through her efforts that club plans were started. A tea was held in the home of Mrs. H. V. Jones to acquaint prospective members with Federation work, and through a Sorosis committee of Mrs. W. B. Couch, Mrs. Wilbur Johnson, and Mrs. Fred Lancaster, the club was organized and known as the Junior Sorosis Club. For the first two years the club sponsors were Mrs. Wilbur Johnson and Mrs. Newcomb Smith. This sponsorship was continued by Mrs. Ola Putman for many years. The following twenty girls were charter members: Vernetta Brown (Slaughter), George Rae Cochran (Murray), Hazel Dieterich (Stover), Maxine Hayden (Buck), Wilmuth Moorman (Reed), Alice Flanner (Gray), Mona Lee Olin (Patrick), Marcelle Patterson (Green), Dorothy Patterson (Morton), Virginia Ramsey (Imlay), Roberta Stanley (Embree), Louise Stanley (Murphy), Wanda Whitney (Wilson), Kathryn White (Bruss), Virginia Williams (Byers), Helen Willian (Earl), Virginia Webb (Green), Vinita Toops (Smith), Marguerite Williams (Knox), Elise Zurcher (Rivera). Of this original group, three are still members: Maxine Buck, Marcelle Green, and Wanda Wilson.
During the first twenty years of organization, Junior Sorosis sponsored one of the outstanding social events in Marceline, the annual Spring Formal.
In the late 1940’s Junior Sorosis became a Senior club and its name was changed to Sorosis Study Club. Sorosis Study has been active not only in federated work but also in community and welfare service. The club through the years has sponsored Girl Scout Troops, has helped with school projects (purchased the recording machine for Special Education, provided band uniforms, helped buy the stage curtains, assisted at health and dental clinics), has donated to library (books, purchase of water cooler), and helped with contributions to welfare work. The present club project is the hanging of flower baskets in the business section.
One of the members, Lucille Myers, has served as president of Third District M.F. W.C. and has also served in many capacities on the State Board. Another member, Marcelle Green, is at this time president of Third District M. F. W. C. Other members have been appointed as district chairmen. The membership is limited to 24, and meetings are held on the second and fourth Tuesday.