In 1955 Mrs. Thelma Braley purchased the rest home which she now operates as the King Rest Home at 215 West Walker in Marceline. At that time the home supported six guests and was largely lacking in the modern facilities now required for the procurement of a State license.
The Moore Company, known locally as the “fan factory,” was founded in Kansas City, Missouri, in the summer of 1940 as a proprietorship by Robert D. Moore. Mr. Moore had previously been employed as a design and development engineer for J. F. Pritchard & Company of Kansas City, and while there, had developed a … > More >
In the fall of 1870, Rush Floyd Landreth, wife Arenia and their two children, Elsie and Joseph arrived by train from Carroll County, Virginia. In 1882 they bought 80 acres of land located just west of Marceline, from the Hannibal and Saint Joseph Railroad Company.
In 1886, preliminary surveys for the Chicago, Santa Fe and … > More >
Although liquidated ten years ago, the McAllister Creamery & Bottling Works, operating as “Marceline’s First Factory” from 1923 until 1953, played a significant role in the growth and development of Marceline. Any history of Marceline would be incomplete without proper mention of the McAllister firm, as well as the McAllister family itself, for the public … > More >
In 1949 R. Wallace Pischel of 728 East Gracia Street, Marceline, Missouri started a specialized printing business in his home. The business operated under his name and for the most part printed cookbooks. A year later he built a plant at 726 East Gracia Street and broadened his printing business to include high school yearbooks.… > More >
Cimarron Lumber & Supply Company opened its Marceline branch in June 1956 in the McAllister Creamery Building, manufacturing aluminum storm sashes. In 1958, negotiations were completed for the purchase of the Service Pipeline Building. After extensive remodeling, the manufacturing of doors was added. In 1960, the move was completed and all operations were concentrated at … > More >
The Cater Opera House was built by Dr. W. A. Cater in 1902 and was formally opened in October.
In the early days, stock companies appeared here for one-week stands, with a change of program every night. The Mayhall Stock Company of Goren, Missouri, which played here many seasons, was one of the favorites. The … > More >