William Edward Cantlon and Mae Davidson Cantlon, pioneer citizens of Marceline, settled here in 1893. Mr. Cantlon was born in Blue Vale, Canada and his parents settled in Chariton County when he was six years old. He married Mae Davidson of Bucklin in 1890 and settled in Westville, Missouri until moving to Marceline.
Mr. Cantlon owned a wagon repair and blacksmith shop and sold wagons, surries and buggies, much the same as the present auto dealers. His first shop was located on East Ritchie Street in the vicinity of the post office and later he moved to East Howell just east of the present hospital. In later years after retiring from this business he was a dealer for cemetery monuments and markers. He retired a few years before his death in 1920 because of ill health.
When Mr. Cantlon first arrived in Marceline he built a home on the southwest corner of Santa Fe Ave. and Missouri Avenue. Later the original house was moved to a location just south of Santa Fe Ave. and the present home which is there now remained in the family until a few years after his death.
Mr. and Mrs. Cantlon were among the original members of the Presbyterian Church and continued as loyal and faithful members until the church was dissolved in 1920.
They are the parents of three children: Mrs. Berniece Milstead, Kirksville, Missouri; Wray W. Cantlon, Tulsa, Oklahoma and Mrs. R. M. Wrenn of Marceline. Mrs. Wrenn before her marriage was a member of the Marceline school system for three years. Mrs. Mae Cantlon died in 1952.