Mr. Bird Helton came as a small boy with his family from Kentucky in a covered wagon pulled by oxen. The family located in Macon County until 1907 and then moved to Marceline. He was employed by the coal mines for over fifty years. He married Annie Love who had moved to Marceline from Pennsylvania … > More >
William Edward Cantlon and Mae Davidson Cantlon, pioneer citizens of Marceline, settled here in 1893. Mr. Cantlon was born in Blue Vale, Canada and his parents settled in Chariton County when he was six years old. He married Mae Davidson of Bucklin in 1890 and settled in Westville, Missouri until moving to Marceline.
Mr. Cantlon … > More >
Dr. Charles T. Whisenand came to Marceline from Bucklin, Missouri, in December 1895, to wed Miss Dona L. Carter who, with her father and mother George and Lueuna Carter and one brother, Talmadge Carter, had moved to Marceline from a farm near Bucklin, Missouri, to build a home, which now stands as a pioneer … > More >
He was a familiar figure about town. His singing, clog dancing and “trombone” playing were his chief accomplishments, plus his “speech making.”
No one who ever saw “Wampus” will forget the size of his … > More >
Born in Chariton county, their grandparents came to Missouri in a covered wagon with the first settlers. The farm was one … > More >
The Taylor family first came to Missouri in the fall of 1867. Erastus Taylor moved his family from East Elba, Genesee County, New York to the farm where J. P. Taylor now lives, which is located at the north city limits on Highway 5. Here he lived and raised his family until 1885 when his … > More >
James F. Pendleton, father of Larkin C. Pendleton, and grandfather of Walter Pendleton, pioneers of Marceline, was one of the two first white settlers in Linn County. He and a companion came to Locust Creek country in 1830 on a hunting exhibition. They found the country in accordance with their desires and determined to … > More >
A. L. and Samintha Coffey Dawkins came to Marceline from a farm in North Missouri, Schuyler County in 1889 with their three children, William, Bertha (Mrs. Ed. F. Hayden), and Jewell (Mrs. Charles Willis, Kansas City, Kansas).
Mr. Dawkins bought a half interest in a furniture store, which was called Finnell and … > More >
He was county surveyor for several terms as well as holding other county offices. While in office as county surveyor he assisted in … > More >
W. A. Campbell, one of the original settlers of Marceline, came here when the town was started in 1888.
He moved his family, wife and one son, from Green City to Marceline to make his home. Later three more children were born, two girls and a boy.
Of the four children only one W. … > More >