In the Miners’ Hall on June 27, 1907, Sister Ruby Kathan, Dist. Deputy President of Bucklin, assisted by Deputy Grand Lodge officers, instituted Quality Rebekah Lodge No. 475.
The following were charter members: Della Beckman, N.G.; Stephen Wallar, Cora Wallar, Rebekah Wallar, Valentine Maddox, May Gehne, Sallie Roe, Lucille Locke (McAllister), Sue Locke (Payden), Ann … > More >
On September 18, 1928, a group of ladies were called together for the purpose of organizing a Ladies Society of The Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen. We met in the K.P. Hall over Zurcher’s store. Mrs. Grace Hatfield was our Grand Lodge Instructor.
The Brothers of Lodge #486 expressed their interest by buying the … > More >
Twilight Chapter #66, Order of Eastern Star, was organized in 1897. Marceline was about twelve years old, primitive to say the least. Board walks, heavy lumber was laid for street crossings. There were just dirt streets and much mud when winter came. It was not uncommon for the grocery wagon to bog down and the … > More >
Free Masonry in Marceline dates from October 17, 1889, when the Grand Lodge of the State of Missouri granted a Charter to Marceline Lodge Number 481 authorizing them to meet and work with Milton Helwig, Worshipful Master; I. Jeff Buster, Senior Warden; and John F. Eyler, Junior Warden. The former Masonic Building was located where … > More >
In May 1944, after several weeks of planning, a group of ladies whose sons or daughters were serving in the Armed Forces, and desiring to do something for the servicemen passing through Marceline on regular or troop trains banded together under the name of Marceline Community Canteen under the leadership of Mrs. Martha Erdman. Any … > More >
The eight members of Beta Sigma Phi in Marceline, realizing their chapter was in danger of disbanding due to lack of new members, decided to discontinue their association with International. However, wanting to keep in touch with good friends, these girls formed a new organization. After much discussion, many meetings and grateful help from their … > More >
The association was founded in 1882 to open doors of education for women and to widen opportunities for women to use their training. “Practical educational work” is its objective. AAUW members are widening their own horizons, helping to build better communities, and fostering a more intelligent approach to world problems. All women who hold degrees … > More >
On a very muddy day in early March, 1910, a small group of women met at the home of Mrs. Dave Haley, at the invitation of her daughter Maude and Alice Haley, an in-law niece. The purpose was to organize a club to relieve the monotony and dreary weeks of a long cold winter and … > More >