Marceline, Missouri – Organized 1934 Third District Federated – 1937
Early in the year 1934 a group of young mothers in Marceline interested in child care and training read in the Parents’ Magazine of study articles that could be obtained from the University of Missouri at Columbia, Child Raising Department. They sent for the monthly … > More >
The Ladies’ Home Culture Club was organized October 3, 1901. The club had its beginning as four friends sat around a card table at the home of Mrs. Grace West. The date was September of 1901 and the other three women were Mrs. Bird Sweet, Mrs. Yocum, and Miss Nine Kendrick. Conversation turned to the … > More >
The Sorosis Club was organized in 1928 as the first Junior Federated Club in Third District M. F. W. C. under the sponsorship of Sorosis, the first Senior Federated Club in Marceline. At that time a Sorosis member, Mrs. Sig Steiner, was president of Third District and it was through her efforts that club plans … > More >
The “Children of Pioneers” was organized Sunday afternoon, March 27, 1938, at the Methodist Church by Esther Belle Wheeler. 26 persons, whose parents came to Marceline Township 40 or more years before, attended the meeting, thus becoming charter members. Officers were president, Claude Dail; vice-president, R. M. Wrenn; recording secretary, Mrs. Ruby … > More >
Beta Sigma Phi, an international organization founded at Abilene, Kansas, in 1931 by Walter W. Ross, is dedicated to hundreds of thousands of young women throughout the world, who compose the membership of some four thousand active chapters. It has gained recognition around the world as a non-academic and non-sectarian, social, cultural and civic organization.… > More >
In the fall of 1935, the Missouri Federation of Women’s Clubs, was conducting a drive to organize more clubs in the Third District, of which Marceline is a part. Interested members of the Junior Soros is Club invited several girls of high school age to .meet and form a junior club to be known as … > More >
On October 14, 1947, Carmaleta Teel, Frances White, Norma McCrary, Merle B. Baxter, Betty Luckenbill, Nelda McCoy, Mary Cupp, Jerry Pitts, Vera Dail, and Josephine Snowden met for the purpose of organizing a club for young mothers.
Mrs. Chester Ray from the sponsoring club (Mothers’ Psychology) was present and presented the club with $10.
Mothers’ Psychology Club was organized in the year 1934, 15 mothers being invited and accepting membership. These first 15 members were Bernice Wiedman, Irene Jones, Betty O’Connor, Juanita Staats, Dorothy Staples, Bernice Burgener, Isabelle Couch, Rose Potts, Cleo Chapman, Alice Barnes Gray, Elizabeth Fox, Eunice Campbell, Lucille Sportsman Blacksmith, Blanche O’Neil, and Francis Fee Ford. … > More >
St. Francis Hospital as it is known today, originated as a ten-bed structure built in 1923 by Floyd Neiman, Marceline Contractor, for Ola Putman. M. D., as a memorial to his father, Benjamin S. Putman, M. D., who had served the Marceline area forty-seven years as physician and surgeon. He called it the … > More >